Looking for effective, easy ways to acknowledge your team members and say THANKS for doing a great job? It’s not necessary to hold a big event (unless you want to, of course) – simply give team members small surprises or an impromptu lunch to notice their efforts. These are small tokens of appreciation that can continue throughout the year at little or no cost to the company.
At National Premium, each office location coordinates “Fun Fridays” or “Wacky Wednesdays.” A team of employees coordinate simple, fun events each month or each week. National Premium held a “Guess Who?” school days week where each employee posted a childhood photo and had to guess everyone else’s photos. Amongst other “Fun Fridays,” National Premium has dressed in favorite sports’ team colors, held a mini bocce ball tournament, played Pictionary, or coordinated themed potlucks.
Taken from About.com Human Resources, here are other great ways to say “thank you!”
- Praise something your coworker has done well. Identify the specific actions you found admirable.
- Say thank you. Show your appreciation for their hard work and contributions. And, don’t forget to say please often. A more gracious, polite workplace is appreciated by all.
- Ask your coworkers about their family, their hobby, their weekend or a special event they attended. Your genuine interest – as opposed to being nosey – causes people to feel valued and cared about.
- Know your coworker’s interests well enough to present a small gift occasionally. An appreciated gift, and the gesture of providing it, will light up your coworker’s day.
- If you can afford to, give staff money. End of the year bonuses, attendance bonuses, quarterly bonuses and gift certificates say “thank you” quite nicely. Or simply offer a holiday gift exchange!
- Almost everyone appreciates food. Take coworkers or staff to lunch for a birthday, a special occasion or for no reason at all. Let your guest pick the restaurant. Or bring in homemade goodies!
- Last, but not least, provide opportunity. People want chances for training and cross-training. They like to attend professional association meetings and represent your organization at civic and philanthropic events.
WE CAN HELP YOUR COMPANY GET POSITIVE RESULTS WITH RECOGNITION
National Premium can create a custom recognition program for you company. Below are some great reasons WHY you should implement a program:
- Team members will be more engaged with recognition – let them know exactly what they did that made a difference. They’ll feel good, and they’ll repeat this behavior in the future.
- As a whole, engaged workplaces have low turnover and high customer loyalty. Recognition keeps team members engaged and builds a stronger relationship between managers and their team members, in turn, developing loyalty to the manager and the organization.
- Engaged employees tend to perform at a higher level, providing excellent service. As a result, customers are more satisfied and will continue to do business with the organization.
- According to John Knotter, author of Culture and Performance, companies that pay attention to employees enjoy exceptional increases to the bottom line when compared to companies that only pay attention to the bottom line (Fig. 1). In this study, employee-focused organizations increased their revenue 483% over the bottom-line focused competition.
Source: Culture and Performance, John Knotter; Contented Cows Give Better Milk, Fresh Milk, Bill Catlette and Richard Hadden.
- According to the Revenue Comparison study below, companies that reward employees make more money over a five-year time period compared to companies that do not reward employees.
Source: Contented Cows Give Better Milk, Fresh Milk, Bill Catlette and Richard Hadden.