When starting your business, or revamping your image, a clean and recognizable logo is crucial. Logos stand as a symbol for what a business does and what their values and mission are as a company. A logo can simply be the company name in a unique font or a graphic. It takes a lot of time and money for an association between a company and a logo to be made, so you want to be sure that the logo is perfect for your business from the beginning.
Things to consider when creating your business’ logo:
- Decide the message you want your logo to communicate. A logo, even a simple picture or font, has the power define your company. Make sure that the design you choose will be a positive symbol for your business.
- Look to competitor’s logos. You’ll want to identify trends going on within your industry, but also make sure to differentiate yours so that it is unique and is identifiable.
- Select an original picture or icon. At a glance, pictures will make a bigger statement than words. The picture you choose may also have am implicit meaning that reflects characteristics of your business.
- Play off your company name. If you choose to use words, select a font that with accent the characteristics of your company, or choose an icon that is also a word in your name.
- Don’t make it too trendy. While you may want to make your logo trendy, you want to make sure it is timeless enough to last for a few decades so you aren’t having to cash out money to redesign it after a few years.
- Make sure the logo is easy to reproduce. It is best to design an icon over an illustration because they are cleaner. You’ll also want to be selective in choosing colors. Too many will be costly and it won’t turn up as well when printed in black-and-white.
Once you have a distinct and memorable logo you are happy with, put it anywhere your company name is-letterhead, business cards, packages, advertisements, etc. It will start reenforcing a positive association between the logo and your business. When the logo is established as an identity piece for your company, it will express a professional look and enhance consumer’s first impression of you. Good luck designing!